WHAT'S NEW?
Loading...

Messi: I hope to win another Ballon d'Or


The Argentine magician has his sights set on yet more glory in 2013, but is unsure of whether he will be able to better what he has achieved in the last 12 months


Lionel Messi - Gala Balón de Oro 2012
Lionel Messi con su cuarto Balón de Oro / Getty
Barcelona striker Lionel Messi has said that it is unlikely that he will be able to reach the same dizzying heights he achieved in 2012, but admitted he is aiming for a fifth Ballon d'Or.
The Argentina star blew everyone away with a phenomenal year in which he managed to net 91 goals, breaking Gerd Muller's record for number of strikes in a calendar year in the process, which saw him pick up the Fifa award for a record fourth time.

And while Messi concedes it will be hard to top last year, he is determined to add more silverware and success.

“I hope to win another Ballon d'Or," he told France Football. "Let me enjoy my moment. We'll revisit this again in a few months.

"I try to move forward but it is very difficult. I'm not sure whether I can aim for 91 goals every year.”

The 25-year-old added that each award he has won over the years has meant something different to him.

He said: "Each Ballon d'Or victory doesn't spark the same emotion, but it's just as intense. Every one has made me happy.

"The first [I won] in Paris is unique to me. The second I did not expect. And it was an honour to equal [Michel] Platini and [Johan] Cruyff for the third."

The Barca attacker may be thinking about what the future holds for him as the Blaugrana aim for La Liga title while Argentina are preparing for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, but Messi has also taken time to reflect on what he has achieved so far, with the Champions League final of 2009 still firmly etched in the back of his mind.

He added: "When I close my eyes, and review my career, the first image is that of Rome, the end of 2009. [The Champions League final win over Manchester United] – my headed goal, the collective joy we experienced … The other records [I have broken] are memorable, but I do like to dream [about that header]."

Messi admits, despite being one of the best footballers in the world, he still struggles with public speaking and this year was no different at the Ballon d'Or awards.

He said: "I meant what I said, but I had nothing prepared and could not miss out Tito [Vilanova] and [Eric] Abidal. I would've even congratulated Cristiano [Ronaldo]."

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire